Click to register and pick classes for the 2019 Conference in
→ 3 ←
Plan Now to Join Us for the 8th Annual
Texas Basket Weavers Association
Conference, January 24-27, 2019!
We’ll be holding the Dallas Round Up at the
DoubleTree by the Hilton Dallas Near the Galleria.
Conference registration does not include lodging.
Extra Day Weaver fees are charged for conference attendees not staying at the DoubleTree
by the Hilton Dallas Near the Galleria.
Mention Texas Basket Weavers Association to get the special discounted rate when you make your hotel room reservations early by phone. 972-385-9000DoubleTree by the Hilton Dallas Near the Galleria 4099 Valley View Lane
Dallas, Texas 75244 Room rates are for single and double occupancies.
Discounted hotel rooms are on a first available basis
and this offer ends December 19, 2018.
Please Be Aware:
No third-party booking agent (Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, etc.) can qualify to get the special TBWA pricing.
Reservations made by any means other than the link on our website or by the phone number and instructions above will not be honored by the hotel for TBWA's conference and their discounted rate.
New for 2019!
Class selections are now offered on a first available basis.
Pick 1 class per day per time-slot!
- Immediately see which classes are open
- Fun Evening Classes allow you to take 2 classes per day!
- Option to choose an alternate class is available during check out
- No need to select 5 classes for 1 day and hope for the best
Offline Registration Option
Class Confirmations and Form for Pre-ordering Basket Kits and Paying the Marketplace Fee
Class confirmations along with the form for pre-ordering basket kits or reserving space to sell in the Marketplace will be sent in the first half of October 2018.
- All registrants will receive their confirmation and form via email unless they supplied a self-addressed stamped envelope.
- Follow the confirmation instructions, and the instructions on this form, to send in your money for classes, basket kits and/or marketplace fees.
- Selling at Marketplace is now an option when you register for the conference. Simply select the $10 "Seller at Marketplace" and pay the fee at checkout. A conference team member will contact you later to complete your application concerning the items you intend to sell.
PRE-ORDERED BASKET CLASS KITS
- When your list of class selections are sent to you in early October, you will receive a list of the available kits for pre-ordering.
- Pre-ordered basket kits will be available for pick-up at the registration desk during registration hours..
- Kits will NOT be mailed. You must make arrangements to have someone else pick up your kit(s) if you are unable to do so yourself.
On Saturday evening, January 26th, we offer Marketplace space to any registrant who wishes to sell basket-related supplies or items he or she has made. Marketplace will be held in the weaving room from 7 pm to 8:30 pm.
Click on the link above and select the ticket marked "Seller at Marketplace". You will be charged the $10 fee at checkout. A conference team member will contact you later to complete your application for the items you intend to sell during Marketplace.
If you are interested in participating but not sure if your items are allowed, please use the CONTACT 2019 CONFERENCE TEAM form to sign up and get info on payment for Marketplace, your printed registration form or Pre-ordering basket kit and Marketplace fee form, and pay the $10.00 fee to reserve a space for you to sell your items.
OR if you're registering by mail - mark your printed registration form or Pre-ordering basket kit and Marketplace fee form, and pay the $10.00 fee to reserve a space for you to sell your items.
Applications and fees for Marketplace are due November 1, 2018.
All individual Marketplace spaces must be pre-paid before the Conference.
Be sure to visit our great Vendors
at the 2019 Conference!
- Atkinson’s Country House
- Bases to Weave
- Bittersweet Baskets and Homestead Handles
- Gifts by Brenda
- Homestead Baskets
- PrairieWood Basketry
Woohoo!! Have we got a deal for you!!
Increase your basket weaving skills – on us! Apply for the Educational Grant from TBWA. The application is easy to complete. The result could be an award to use for learning a new basket weaving skill, attending a new venue, or using a new media.
As our last awardee, Karen Hobbs says, “Why not use $500 from TBWA to learn something new, or expand your knowledge in an old craft."
If you have volunteered in the past and have been a TBWA member for the last 2 years, you are eligible. Just complete the application and send it in by December 15, 2018. The recipient will be announced at the conference in January 2019. At the conference the following year (2020), you share your new knowledge with the rest of us.
Applications and eligibility details are available by clicking on the application.
Silent Auction and
- Ticket sales for the Opportunity Drawing will be available from Thursday 11 am through Saturday 5:00 pm.
- PRINT your NAME on the back of your ticket or attach your address labels for a quick way to identify yourself for the drawing.
- Tickets must be deposited by 5:30 pm Saturday to be included in the drawing.
- Silent Auction will be available Thursday 3 pm through Saturday 5:30 pm.
- Personal silent auction numbers will be assigned by Registration and you will receive that number in your registration packet.
- Pick-up of drawing & auction items will be Saturday 8 pm.
- You must be present at the Conference or appoint someone to pick up your items.
- Silent Auction items must be paid in full by cash, check, credit card, or debit card when winners are notified.
- No items will be mailed.
Stars of Weaving Competition
and The Exhibition
Stars of Weaving
Share your baskets with your fellow weavers in either a juried or non-juried exhibit!
5 Juried Categories (each competing for $50 cash prizes):
- Art/Unusual Piece
- New Weaver (less than 2 years)
Winners of the juried categories will receive $50 CASH, rather than a $50 voucher for Conference Vendors, as in prior years. That means you’ll have more money to spend on the Silent Auction, Opportunity Drawing tickets, dinner, supplies or gift items from a Vendor or at Marketplace ... or on whatever you like!
One entry from all of the above categories (except Professional) could win the Viewer’s Choice Award: $50 plus a 2019/2020 TBWA membership!
Non-competitive Category (no prize money): The Exhibition
Want to show off your basketry skills? The Exhibition is just the place for you! Bring your non-competing items to display during the conference.
It’s easy to enter The Exhibition and FUN to show off your basketry skills!
A New Challenge: Repurpose, Recycle and Weave
This year, Repurpose, Recycle and Weave will highlight baskets made with plastics. You know all of those grocery store bags, plastic bottles, plastic caps, and milk jugs that you toss in the recycle bucket? Consider fishing those items out and looking at them with a different mindset! We would love to feature your baskets in this year’s Repurpose, Recycle and Weave exhibition.
Are you up for a challenge from Lynne Dees, Cricket Rose, and Janet Newman? In the footsteps of several well-known weavers who use recyclables such as Lois Walpole, Barbara DePirro, Emily Dvorin, and Jackie Abrams, we want to promote the use of non-traditional materials in basket weaving, and at the same time, illustrate that trash can be beautiful!! According to hipcycle.com, upcycling is a new term that expresses the process of converting old or discarded materials into something more useful and often beautiful than the original object.
You can access some great ideas from http://time.com/4358434/world-oceans-day-art-marine-plastic/ where 13 artists turned ocean trash into beautiful works of art, and at http://scribol.com/art-and-design/art/incredible-art-woven-from-recycled-materials/ you can view Elizabeth Morisette’s amazing upcycled weavings. In Nigeria, women are creating a plethora of products out of discarded plastic bags. See the video at https://www.reuters.com/video/2017/04/23/nigerian-women-crochet-bags-from-plastic?videoId=371537497
It’s not just another plastic bag.
Get further details by contacting our Stars of Weaving Coordinator here:
Volunteers Are Needed
I've heard it takes a village to raise a child and putting on a conference is no different. It takes a lot of people to host and make it successful.
With that being said, I want to encourage you to volunteer some time to help in areas such as:
- stuffing goodie bags
- taking lunch tickets
- selling raffle tickets
- handing out and collecting evaluations, etc.
We also need volunteers to help with:
- front desk
- change teachers class signs
- check thrash bags
This is just a partial listing of where we need assistance. After you have your assigned classes you will know if you have some available time, so please let me know and I will put you on the schedule.
Thank you for volunteering!
Volunteer Coordinator and
2019 Conference Committee
Have a specific question about an area of the Dallas Round Up Conference? Contact the committee members using the links below. For general questions, contact the 2019 Conference Chairs, Brenda McKinnon and Rebecca Shanks.
|Conference Chairs||Brenda McKinnon and Rebecca Shanks|
|Teacher Coord.||Arlene Woodall|
|Vendor Coord.||Arlene Woodall|
|Volunteer Coord.||Vickie Gildon|
|Donations Coord.||Karen Hobbs|
|Printing & Publicity||Rebecca Shanks|
|On-Site Facilities Mgr.||Vickie Gildon|
|Stars of Weaving Coordinator||Lynne Dees|